Maps and short stories about the actual itinerary of my 2008 European tour

June 22, 2008

From Prague to Warsaw by Krakow

The road from Prague to Warsaw saw a very special 3 day stop in Krakow. After about more than 500km from Prague to Krakow ridden at high speeds on boring highways while being blown by strong side winds all over the road, what I was to find in this adorable city was a gift of fate.

The second lag from Krakow to Warsaw was a good lesson in how not to trust your GPS when the maps it is using are rather crap, as proved to be the case of the map of Poland contained by the City Navigator 2008 Plus from Garmin.


Although I have carefully double checked if the option to avoid unpaved roads was selected, and it was, the local authors of the map were probably too proud to admit that their otherwise lovely green country had also some roads that still wait for the people at Tarmac inc. that they marked everything as “paved” which I painfully discovered was not at all the case. So at few occasions, after the tar strip narrowed to the point where 2 (small) cars could not pass one next to the other, at some points even that disappeared into what was very bumpy dry dirt or even worse (I had to turn around there) very fine deep dust.

As I don’t like taking my motorbike on highways as they are rather straight and boring for someone liking the more “waltzing” part of motorcycle riding, I also try to avoid dirt roads, not because the trusted GS could not take them into it’s ample stride, but because I’m rather fed up with them. Not on this choice of road the Zumo made for me...



From Maps

No comments: